Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What's in a name? That which we call a rose

The year was 1989...the earthquake devastated Newcastle and reduced our house to rubble. My family were forced to live in a dingy little caravan in the backyard for 12 months while we rebuilt the family abode - I was 6 years old, living with 3 other people in a rust bucket that leaked every time it rained - needless to say it was an adventure. The only thing that made the experience bearable was that the movie ‘Honey I shrunk the kids’ was released that year.

    

Now for those of your who haven’t seen it - you should be ashamed and would recommend watching it. For those of you who call yourselves a film connoisseur - you will recall that the movie involved a nutty scientist (the Dad) who had created a machine to miniaturise objects. Now maybe he was classified as a ‘nutty scientist’ because he was a misunderstood geniuses or it may have been because he had a whole gaggle of children running around driving him mad - who really knows. Anyway the story goes that kids sneak into his lab, accidentally shrink themselves and the movie covers the journey from there.

So what exactly does all of that have to do with the name of my blog? The answer is everything...and nothing (I know the last movie reference confused you mother)...so lets begin.

NLP is all about the human mind and how we can harness it’s potential to maximise what you  and I get out of life. I am sure that you would agree that the human brain is an amazing thing -  but it is something that we do not yet completely understand. To get to the bottom of the blogs name there are a few things that we need to cover off.

 

Firstly the human mind can not tell the difference between a real experience, a remembered experienced or an imagined experience. So lets explore this...people will normally experience situations in one of four different ways. These are: visually, auditory, kinesthetic or any combination of the three.

      
To demonstrate this I will ask you to find a quiet place where you won’t be disturbed, close your eyes and think back to a experience that you enjoyed - put yourself back in that moment, give your subconscious permission to see what you saw (as if you are seeing it through your own eyes again), hear what you heard at the time and feel the sensations within your body that you felt when you were last there - just breath it in; take your time and enjoy being back in the moment. Now come back to the present and take a second to digest what just happened - did it feel the same as when you were really there? I dare say yes. Even though you were sitting on the lounge it felt like you were back in that moment again didn’t it? Your subconscious mind couldn’t really tell the difference and your body was able to generate those same experiences within itself as it did previously.

The same occurs when you imagine something. If you close your eyes again, take a deep breath and think about going on a holiday - for the sake of this experiment lets imagine its a beach holiday. Allow yourself to go there - let the salty aroma to fill your nostrils, see the perfect and inviting colour of the cool blue sea, feel the warmth of of the sun on your back and each grain of sand beneath your feet as you walk across the surface, hear the crashing of the waves and the sound of birds in the background. Could you do this? Did you feel like you were almost there? For some it can take a little practice but I’m sure you would agree even though you weren’t really there it felt as if you were for that brief moment. Some of you may wish you were still there...

  
Now why am I making this point, how does it link to what we are doing and what has it got to do with the name of the blog?

Again before I answer this I want you to ask yourself how often are you letting your mind get the better of you by imagining things that have not occurred or creating dramas that do not yet exist? Something happens in your life and your mind runs off on a tangent looking at all of the worst case scenarios that could occur - if you think back to blog 2 and 3 this may even be due to the old maps that you currently have in place.

An example is something that happened to me the other day. I made a mistake at work - I didn’t realise this until I arrived home - I started creating a story or movie in my mind of all of the potentially negative outcomes that could occur, what the client would say to me and what I would need to do to win them back over - my mind replayed it over and over like a broken record. I didn’t sleep all night because I was so stressed - can you relate with this? The next day I got to work and called the client to explain what I had done...

 
So what happened? Absolutely nothing! It wasn’t a big deal to them - they didn’t care. So why did I get so stressed? I had used an existing map - I had assumed that the other person’s map was the same as mine - I created  the whole situation - my mind was unable to tell the difference between what was real and what I was imagining  - this made my body produce stress hormones - causing me grief, preventing me from sleeping and assisting my mind to turn up the volume on the pattern it was running. And this sort of thing happens all of the time whether it is in our work lives, social lives, love lives...the list goes on and on.

So the name of the blog has to do with this....we create visual, auditory and kinesthetic experiences (or what I call videos) in our minds  - these videos do not benefit us in any way, shape or form. All they do is put us into an unresourceful state and prevent us from living and experiencing the life that we desire and deserve. What I hope to do with this blog is provide you with a set of tools that will help you to take control. You will be able to take those records that you are constantly playing over and over in your mind and scratch them so badly that they will never play the same tune again. This will provide you with the chance to create a new story that serves you in a way that allows you to be the best that you can be. These tools will be like the nutty scientist miniaturisation machine and help you to shrink down the videos (vids) that you’re playing and allow you to experience a calmness and freedom in your life, giving you the space to create and focus on what YOU CHOOSE.

In the next blog we will look at one of these techniques and the steps involved...

To ensure that you receive all of the latest postings visit my Facebook page and click on the ‘Like’ button. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honey-I-Shrunk-the-Vids/256234771090470

Until we meet again.

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment